Authors: Are your books being illegally downloaded on 4shared.com?
I finally received an email from 4shared.com after reporting the illegal PDFs that one of their members is allowing others to download. This email came AFTER I filled out their form and provided them with details about the blatant copyright theft of my works.
Hello,My reply to this was to RESTATE all the info I'd already sent them. I won't play their stupid games. As the LEGAL copyright holder and the AUTHOR of this material, I've asked them to remove by deleting the content completely from their site and from the member's account.
Please write us back arranging your complaint into the correct copyright
report sample set by DMCA and we'll react on this matter asap.
According to DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) the notification must:
1. Identify in sufficient detail the copyrighted work that you believe has been infringed upon (i.e., describe the work that you own).
2. Identify the in-world item that you claim is infringing on your copyright, and provide information reasonably sufficient to locate the item in-world.
3. Provide a reasonably sufficient method of contacting you; phone number and email address would be preferred.
4. Provide information, if possible, sufficient to permit us to notify the user(s) who posted the content that allegedly contains infringing material. You may also provide screenshots or other materials that are helpful to identify the works in question. (This is for identification only, not to 'prove' substantive claims.)
5. Include the following statement: 'I have good faith belief that the use of the copyrighted materials described above and contained on the service is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or by protection of law.'
6. Include the following statement: 'I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.'
The DMCA provides that you may be liable for damages (including costs and attorneys fees) if you falsely claim that an in-world item is infringing your copyrights. We recommend contacting an attorney if you are unsure whether an in-world object is protected by copyright laws.
According to their website, they send the member a wanring of the abuse and instruct them to remove the material. Then the material is put into a folder marked "Abuse" and remains on the member's page. Uh, hello, you stupid idiots!! That is NOT deleting.
I am now in the process of contacting the advertisers that are supplying the owners of 4shared.com with part of the $64,000 a DAY they earn. I am hopeful that most of these advertisers have no idea their ads are appearing on a website that blatantly allows copyright infringement to occur.
What are your thoughts on this site? What do you think about this email they sent? If you're an author, go to that site and search for your name. You might be horrified to find your work being offered there for free. I know I was.
Cheryl Kaye Tardif
Support Authors, Buy a Book!